Put your best foot forward in social media
Social media has its own rules—and it pays to know what they are. In general, follow these guidelines:
- Be authentic. Use marketing messages sparingly—unless you want your audience to tune out. Mix it up with content that engages your followers.
- Be personable. Just because you represent an official IU unit doesn’t mean you can’t have a little fun. Lighten up—it’s social media.
- Be thick-skinned. Don’t take attacks on your unit personally. Try to correct inaccurate information or direct followers to someone who can help, rather than go on the defensive.
- Be responsive. If someone asks you a question or criticizes you, do your best to respond as soon as possible—it should take no more than one business day.
- Be curating. While you will need to be a content creator—especially when you start out—eventually you want to encourage your followers to create the content for you, thereby becoming ambassadors of your brand.