Style guide updates
This page lists major style guide updates, including when they were made.
July 8, 2019
- Documented preferred style of sentence case for headings on the web.
March 14, 2019
- Changed all forms of X-ray (noun, adjective, verb) to be hyphenated in the preferred spelling list.
December 21, 2018
- Added information for international phone numbers.
- Revised capitalization rules for degrees and disciplines.
- Added a note about capitalization of people’s titles.
- Clarified when to spell out ordinals.
October 4, 2018
- Clarified exceptions to hyphenation rules.
September 20, 2018
- Clarified that dual degree program should not be hyphenated.
- Removed hyphen from general education requirements.
- Added service-learning/service learning to the preferred spelling list.
July 1, 2018
- Added IU Fort Wayne to the list of Indiana University campuses and deleted Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne
April 27, 2018
- Made internet lowercase due to a change in Chicago Manual of Style (term was previously capitalized)
- Added styling to examples to improve readability
September 1, 2017
- Made all disciplines lowercase in degree names (some disciplines were previously always capitalized)