It can be helpful to think about our brand as we would a person. So, how do we get to know someone? What goes into making our first impression? How do we evaluate who they are and what they stand for? It’s not something that happens all at once.
Personality & Values
Our brand personality
We are smart
We are a world-renowned institution of higher learning, with hundreds of degree programs at every level and across every discipline. This should come across—but not in an overbearing way.
We are progressive
We’re never satisfied with the status quo. We are constantly innovating. Whether the topic is academics, research, student life, or economic development, it’s obvious that we’re always looking for what’s next.
We are confident
We are almost 200 years old. We know a lot about what works, what doesn’t, and why. We aren’t afraid to stand up for what we believe in, even in the face of adversity.
We are inclusive
We welcome everyone who shares our intellectual curiosity and passion for learning. We strive for a family atmosphere, where everyone feels free to be themselves.
We are globally minded
We know that our success depends on the success of our neighbors around the world. We work hard to bring the world to IU—and IU to the world.
Our brand values
We all have a certain number of core beliefs. These are the things that we treasure above all else—the why we are who we are.
They are our values, and our brand has its own. As a university, we believe in:
- Academic freedom—Everybody should be free to chase the intellectual pursuits that appeal to them.
- Community service—Our neighbors need us, at home and across the globe. It is our duty to be there to help them.
- Commitment to the individual—Our students are not numbers. Not pawns to be moved around. They are important people, and they deserve our personal attention.
- Commitment to diversity—We welcome everyone with open arms—regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, or sexuality. We do our best to defend them from the intolerant and provide them with the facilities and resources they need to thrive as members of our community.
- Global citizenship—While we are based in Indiana, we do not limit our concerns to those things that are within our state. Instead, we spread our interests wide, helping to bring the world to Indiana—and Indiana to the world.
- Integrity—We are only as good as our word, and so we stand by our commitments. We don’t take moral and ethical shortcuts.
- Research and exploration—We are home to some of the brightest minds on the planet—many of whom are attracted to our campuses by our dedication to pushing the boundaries of human knowledge, and to furthering what’s possible.